Sunday, October 15, 2006

Sitting Right there in the Cabnit

Friday, October 13, 2006
Sitting Right there in the Cabnit
Current mood: pleased

Sitting right there in the cabnit is a bottle of Glutathione that I bought probably 6 months ago. I had heard about Glutathione at autism conferences, but didn't really understand it. About 10 weeks ago we started chelating and using Glutathione. After each IV treatment, Michael would talk and sing the whole way home. I always had a feeling that the Glutathione helped him process and speak better.

So, on Tuesday, I was looking thru one of my kitchen cabnits. It's your typical shelf, but with rows and rows of suppliments. Sometimes I try things and they don't work. Or I get samples. Some bottles are suppliments I bought, but were afraid to try.

I noticed a bottle of reduced Glutathione from Kirkmans and thought "what the hell". He seemed to do better with the weekly IV, maybe taking the pills during the week will help. Wed, Thurs and Friday he got pills in the morning with his usual mixture of organic babyfood bananas and the worst tasting suppliments in your life (MB12, Vit. C, Fish Oil/Coromega, SuperNuThera, SNT Companion, MSM, TMG & Probiotics). He usually chases the stuff with OJ and some Gorilla Munch (gluten/casein/soy free cereal).

So. This is what his teacher wrote on his communication sheet today (fri) "Michael has been talking like crazy. He has so much more language than ever before!" Wow. Is it the new pill of Glutathione each morning? Maybe. I guess only time will tell. But, it was so amazing to get that note today.

I spent the morning at a breakfast with 600 people in the community- community of the disabled that is. There were people with Downs, MR, wheelchairs, autism, you name it. The panelists were talking about group homes, respite care and job training. I'm sitting there thinking "my kid is 7. I can't think about this now". Not because I don't want to plan for the future. I know parents have to do a lot ahead of time. It was more because I'm still hoping my son won't need these services. I still believe he can recover and lose his dx.

I sat at a table with an adult with MR (I think) who was put in an institution at the age of 2 (Kings Park & Pilgrim State). He's doing pretty well, living in a group home and working a job he enjoys.

Also at our table was a couple. They live in my hometown and have a 40 year old son with autism. The mother was telling me about how bad the services were back then. I could tell this woman has told this story a million times and is haunted by it. The dad just sat there with this glazed look in his eyes. None of us signed up for this. It's not easy. I tried to thank her and said "because of people like you, my son is getting the help he needs".

Is this how it works? people have to suffer? little children are put in pysch wards, parents are left to do everything themselves.... Does it make them feel better to know that the situation is different today. Oh, great. Now they can say "why you and not me?".

Why I am so lucky to have a child with autism in 1999? That's funny. Most people probably ask themselves "why did I have a child with autism?" and I'm asking "why I am lucky?". Isn't that weird. I never, ever thought this situation would make me feel lucky. People used to tell me that Michael was lucky to have a mother like me (since I worked with children with autism 10 years ago).

But then, something happened this afternoon. Michael gets off the bus, I read his comment from this teacher and I just didn't know who to call to share the good news. If I tell a fellow parent, I have to make sure not to hurt their feelings. If I tell a friend who doesn't have an ASD kid, they don't REALLY understand. I left a message with Michael's father. And then I called Julia.

(Nicole, Baxter, Julia and Christine at the LIAF&C)

Julia lives in California and has a son who is recovered. We were born the same week in the same state and both have 7 year old boys. One with and one without Autism (for now). Julia and her son are such an inspiration to me (and Michael). They both spoke at our conference last April. I watched the DVD the other day. It gave me renewed hope. I said to Julia "I feel like I'm in a limbo right now".

We are in between two worlds. But, I want to be in Julia's world. I want to have a child who is independant. I want to cherish each word, each friend, each ballgame, etc....
I met a mom today at that breakfast whose 19 year old son recently went to his high school prom. He now attends a community college. She showed me pictures. Guess what his name is? Michael

Thanks for traveling on this journey with me and my son. I really think we are witnessing a miracle. Please send positive thoughts and prayers our way... and to all of those other parents who feel hopeless right now. Thanks.

No comments: