Friday, December 14, 2007

Tuck Me In

To give you a little history, Michael used to be a horrible sleeper. It took him 18 months to sleep a straight 8 hours. I'm not exaggerating. Then at 3.5 yrs old he started sleeping through the night on a more regular basis. At the same time we started him on his new diet (gluten/casein/soy/nut free). Around 5 years ago Michael got into a good schedule- bath 6pm, dinner 7pm then bed at 9pm. I used to lay with him for about an hour, watch TV and wait for him to fall asleep.

About a year ago I told Michael he had to go to sleep by himself. He took it pretty well. Now, at age 8, he comes in the living room every night at exactly 9pm and says "Mommy can you tuck me in?". We went from Directv to Cable/DVR's recently, so I don't have cable in the bedroom anymore. I hooked up a DVD player, so Michael watches a video before he goes to sleep. I used to set up the TV/DVD player and throw the blanket over him each night. But now he sets up the DVD himself and has everything ready beforehand. Very admirable.

A couple of weeks ago I had to have a talk with Michael about death because my mother is dying from pancreatic cancer. I think I wrote about it in another post. Anyway, we started doing this thing where I lay with him and we have a little talk. It's so weird because for the longest time Michael couldn't understand anything abstract. You really couldn't have a conversation with him. It's amazing to see the look on his face when I say certain things. It's like his brain is trying to process everything and then find the language to express what he wants to say. He's getting better at it too.

Another thing he is getting better at is talking about death. We were driving in the snow yesterday and Michael kept screaming "we're going to die, we're going to die". I then tried to give him a talk about positive thinking. Wish I had that one on tape. But, he's been talking about it more- which is ok. I bring it up too. He said the other day that I have to live to be 105, because he's going to die at 85. We are 30 years apart though so I don't know how that will work- hey- what am I worried about 105? Ha. But, I think it's good that he talks about it- even if it's at inappropriate times. Last week at chelation Nick was taking the needle out and Michael said "I'm dying". I think this is just the beginning. Of course I try not to make him feel bad about saying these inappropriate things. Darn, I did it as a child too. I once asked my father's friend "Why is your name Mr. Green if you are black?".


Remember last week we stopped the DMPS? I haven't seen a huge change, but Michael has been a little more defiant. God only knows what that is from. I learned today that there is a new kid in his class with behavior problems. That doesn't help the situation- Michael feeds off of kids getting in trouble. I think it's going to be a long winter. With everything going on with my family I've got to find productive things for us to do during these cold months. I think it's already snowed more this year that all of last winter. I do miss living in Virginia Beach. The winters there were about 2-3 months, not 5-6 months. And you could still do things outside most of the time.

I'm very grateful that we are planning our Road Trip next summer. I think that is going to be the key keeping me sane through the cold weather. Well, that's assuming that I'm sane now- lol.

Today we go back to Dr. Imam's for chelation. It's so nice to not have to worry about it. I did a urine test last weekend because I wanted to see the results from a non-challenge day. A "challenge" is when you give Michael a certain amount of chelation and collect his urine for 12 hours. Then you send it off to a lab (Doctor's Data) and they analyze it for heavy metals- like lead, mercury, arsenic, etc. We might get the results back today. Last week was a normal dose (lower than the challenge dose) AND we stopped the DMPS (different than the last urine test). I'll post it there when I get it.

By the way, Michael has been asking for Goldfish crackers.

No comments: