Sunday, December 16, 2007

I Think He's Going To Be A Teacher


Today is one of those cold, rainy, stay-at-home Sundays. I'm trying to get some editing done, but Michael keeps wanting me to do things with him (imagine that?). He got a bunch of notebooks and made tests up for me. He handed me the notebook and started asking me questions. He made up spelling words and everything. I think he got the format from the practice exams they do in school. Michael is going to be taking the NY State tests in Language Arts (English) and Math.

Last summer when we were finalizing Michael's IEP (education plan) the school didn't want him to take the state tests. It was one of the few times I had to stand up and say "I think Michael can do it". I said I didn't care if he got a "0". The main reason I wanted him to take the test was because his whole class was going to be preparing for these tests specifically. What would Michael do in that time? Be sitting in the corner finger painting?

I believe the state tests for 3rd graders are around March. I think his teacher is doing a great job preparing him. It was pretty amazing how he handed me the test and gave me instructions. He really sounded like a teacher. "Ok, now I'm going to read off the words and you write them down". At one point I wrote a capitol "C" instead of lower case and he yelled "lower case" and pointed to it. Holy moly the kid is a perfectionist. I got all the answers correct, but Michael only gave me grades like 50 or 10. I think it's done on a point system or something, because it didn't make sense to me. I'm really looking forward to the tests next year.

1 comment:

lindamczar said...

MIchael sounds like a great kid. And you are a great mom for taking action for his condition. My children and I suffer from lead and mercury poisoning. I was wondering where you got iv chelation therapy. Thank you for your website. All three of us suffer from CFIDS, which I believe is due to the heavy metals. Thanks for your help. We have been suffering for so long.