Sunday, October 22, 2006

Oh No! He Understands Holidays Now

Ok. First let me explain (for those who don't know me personally) that I'm not a big holiday person. I have a catholic mother and a jewish father. Michael and I are Unitarians. nyway, Michael used to go to the UU church in Northville with me until he was about 3 years ago. Everyone was very supportive from the church when we got the diagnoses at 2.5 yrs old. We stopped going when I realized Michael was disturbing the service. In a room with 40 people, you really can't have a kid running up and down the aisles screaming.

Our past experiences with Holidays include a crying fit in the arms of Santa when Michael was about 1.5 yrs old, Christmas 2000 and 2001 with Michael stimming off the wrapping paper and not wanting to open his presents, a horrible Halloween experience where I had Michael collect money for the Red Cross in Oct 2001 and people complained (after 9-11) and Michael freaking out from Fireworks.

In a way I was happy that he didn't understand holidays- then I didn't have to fake my way thru the last 7 years. I tried. I put in effort. But, I just got to the place where I thought "wow- this isn't so bad". I celebrate different holidays from most people- first day of school, last day of school, spring training, world series, election day, first days of spring & summer and of course, the beginning of the fall television season. I was even excited to see what new shows would be on Noggin this fall.

Ok, back to Michael. So, now that he is understanding more and participates in activities at his typical school, Michael now understands holidays. And not just the big ones. He can tell you what day is Memorial Day, Vets Day, Columbus Day and "the Jewish Holidays" (as he calls them). He is very interested in seasons, weather, days off from school, etc. He walks around saying "tomorrow it's going to rain- no school, vacation". He's also very into his pumpkins and brings them inside when it rains.

Then he sees some children's videos about Christmas and all he talks about is Santa is coming on December 25th and it's going to snow. NO!!!!!! Presents, Tree, Santa, Snow---- HELP! He singing Christmas songs- and it's October. Wait. MY KID IS SINGING CHRISTMAS SONGS AND WANTING TO SEE SANTA. Holy crap- it's typical behavior. It's progression. Wow. This is a big thing. And it's good. So, I'm going to take all the Christmas stuff out of storage and decorate this year. I'll keep you all posted on how it works out. Wish us luck ;)

No comments: