Friday, December 01, 2006

He Shoots, He Scores

We had our first round of IV chelation in 2 weeks. The office was closed over Thanksgiving. Michael did well today. We did another challenge test. That is where we give him a certain amount and then test his urine. After we were done I was talking to some people in the office and Michael went to the bathroom himself. We have to collect his urine for 12 hours. So, of course I yelled a bad word. The nurse said it was ok, because it was too soon to have any metals in his urine at that point anyway. We collected the next two rounds at bath time. I think Michael actually liked peeing in the big orange thing. We have to mail it out on Monday.

When one of the moms got there, I told Michael to say hello to "Susan". He said "hello, Susan. How was your Thanksgiving?". It was so natural. I was really surprised.

Another surprise today was the basketball tournament at his school. Michael did well last year- but never scored a basket. Not even in practice. You see Michael's father and I are pretty into sports. We even met playing volleyball in Virginia. We both have a lot of natural talent and good hand/eye coordination. With Michael, it has seemed to skip a generation.

So, last night the 1st grade class he mainstreamed with had their first round game. They won by about 6 points (each basket is 2 points). On the second try, Michael got a basket. It was such a glorious moment. And a total shock to me. I know that Michael is doing well, but this was a perfect example of his success.

Then this morning they had the championship game. Michael's team lost by 2 points, but he got the MVP!!!!! They called his name and he walked up to the gym teacher and got his certificate. Last year Michael's friend and classmate got the award (for helping Michael out so well). This year HE got it.

I'm always so amazed how much the teachers and staff at this school love him. They are so proud. His classroom teacher was crying before he even got a basket. I'm so lucky that he is in a school that gives him a chance.

I'll never know for sure if it's the biomed treatments or school- but I really think it's a combo of both. You can gave the fastest, best car in the world- but if you put in cheap gas.... I was just so proud of Michael, again. I keep seeing more and more improvements and now actually believe his future will be glorious. People always say "anything is possible". It's such an overused term. But, in this case, it's true. Michael is always surprising me.

I'm looking forward to the They Might Be Giants concert in 8 days. Michael has been learning all of their songs. I think we are going to have an awesome time and I better bring tissues cause I'll probably be crying while he dances and sings with one of my favorite bands.

Here is Michael at the end of the basketball tournament with his teachers- Jackie and Gina. He is holding his MVP certificate.

No comments: